Working with a Children’s hospital we were asked to provide some funky solution for large murals in an emergency room setting. Dolls were suggested. This is where we started. We eventually tried all sorts of light fixtures to achieve a variety of looks. We found that the best material was translum/flexiglass diffusion material to achieve the weirdness that was requested. After the first go round with a variety of dolls and then a creative meeting, it was decided that we should use real kids because the dolls just didn’t “look right”. After all the work, our first suggestion was taken (use real kids) so we dressed kids as super hero’s and did some funky back light with them. The results were much better than what we started with. Sometimes the client has to see it to believe it.
I guess in their mind’s eye, the doll would be more “human” like and not so much doll-like. Just doesn’t look right to me. How about you?
How it connects to start with.
Using the box clip to stretch the elastic and clip tight to the pole.
You can see the difference in this last two by the edge shown on the Deep Umbrella
I have been using a light that is imported by Dynalight, Grand GSB 79. Basically a giant umbrella with a diffuser placed about midway in the design. After working with it awhile, I was getting hard spill where the diffuser does not meet right to the edge of the structure. I searched the manufacturer’s web site and found no solution. For some reason Dynalite or the maker do not bring in to the US a front diffuser that would solve this little issue. I think the details make the difference, so I set out to find a solution and it was easy. Those little box clips you get at Staples or Office Depot were the solution. They are strong enough to hold via the elastic that is on the diffuser to clamp tightly to the pole. (See the second picture). This totally eliminates the spill light that is plagued by the initial design. So a few box clamps and the spill is gone.
As far as a diffuser, I have a 8×8 foot 1/2 silent silk made by the Rag place in LA for my front diffuser. This combination has worked very well. I travel with it in a 62″ Flip Lid from Lightware. I clip on the diffuser with little A clamps purchased at Home Depot.
Hey! Listen up! Take notice ! I found these “curtains” at Ikea. They are a great deal like wedding dress tewell and diffuse the light very nicely. This set was $2.99 and gave me two pieces 110″ x 98″.
I have stapled and layered these to a large artists stretcher frames and have made myself some very useful light modifiers. They would also work really well on location to diffuse light from a really strong sun filled window or to hang over the window while you blast your strobe into the room from the outside. Layer them up thick or thin, you have a great deal of lighting control.
No Ikea where you are? Just buy them on line. You can’t go wrong for only $2.99!!!
This is definitely a home made light, just like back in school with foam core, glue and gaffer tape. The only thing missing is any diffusion. It’s pretty crude but it is a very nice light. This is my first one and I am currently working on the second. I have found brighter LED’s and a new power source. The plan is to make it totally collapsable so you can put it in a small case. This one has been made with a hard structure, now its time to come up with the “Soft” one.
This was made using a Ranger pack with a standard reflector, with one of our new Highlight Discs (designed by Dr.Dan) and a 40 degree grid. They come in three sizes and act just like an aperture on your strobe head. We are showing here just one disc in a standard reflector can change the way you think about using a “standard” reflector. Generally, a standard reflector is designed to throw light out there with a specific coverage. With these discs and grids you can come up with amazing changes in how you control your highlight edges.